Report on disaster sites rehab sought
Published : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 00:00
Article Views : 48
SIX months after typhoon Yolanda struck some areas in Eastern Visayas, the government has yet to provide the public a breakdown of the money or donations it received for the rehabilitation and aid to victims.
Likewise, the public has not seen any assurance that the aid is not being misplaced or diverted to the pockets or into some vested personal interests of other people.
House Independent Minority bloc leader Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez on the billions of pesos of financial aid, both local and foreign.
Speaking in a press conference, Romualdez said that while they support rehabilitation czar Panfilo Lacson in his effort to bring back to normalcy the areas of Leyte and Samar, they want to know the true status of the program.
“We want to know exactly what has been accomplished so far by the national government and the continuous initiatives of some public officials to stifle or obstruct the recovery efforts,” Romualdez said.
The independent bloc wants to find out how many shelters have been built and for how many survivors, how many more remain homeless and what’s causing the slow pace of the construction work.
According to Romualdez, there have been stories of lack of master plan for the rehabilitation program contrary to what the administration is publicly claiming that survivors are now ready for normalcy.
Donations, financial aid and other forms of assistance poured in for the victims of the devastating typhoon which left more than 6,000 people dead and billions-worth of properties damaged.
“Six months after Yolanda, we have not yet seen or heard of any breakdown on where the money and the goods went,” Romualdez said.
“We, the public, have yet to see convincing documentary proofs of how the money has been spent so far. We don’t have any idea where the money and the goods are being kept, who are the custodians, how much has been disbursed or distributed and for whom or to where,” he added.